Student Advisory Board
The Health Center’s Student Advisory Board (SAB) was created in 2006. The Health Center staff wanted to be connected to the students and understand their perspective on adolescent health issues. The Health Center’s Student Advisory Board consists of Maine Township students who…
- Are energetic, motivated, and interested in adolescent health
- Want to help improve services at the Health Center
- Offer their input on ways to make the Health Center a more comfortable, accessible and adolescent friendly
- Want to contribute their insight and perspectives on issues that adolescents face today and enhance services that address those issues
- Desire to develop leadership skills at Maine Township High Schools and the community
- Act as advocates for the Health Center in the school, community and state level
Each year SAB members participate in advertising Health Center services, assist with fundraising and travel to the state capital to advocate for funding to continue School-Based Health Centers. If you are a student who is interested in becoming a member of SAB, please contact Kathy Malyszko at (847) 825-4057 for more information.
Not On Tobacco
Not On Tobacco (N.O.T.) is a national teen smoking cessation program developed by the American Lung Association. The program addresses the consequences of teen smoking and relies on peer mentoring in a supportive environment. The N.O.T. group at Maine East meets spring semester. Students meet for ten weekly sessions moderated by Therese Hanigan and Ron Clark. The group meets on a rotating schedule during the school day so that students only miss any given class only once.